PMAWCA was established in October 1972 under the auspices of the Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and it covers the seaports located along the West Coast of Africa including Mauritania and Angola. The shipping area covers a coastline about 12,000 km. Its ports handle about 300 million tons of maritime import/export trade for the sub-region excluding crude oil. Many of the countries in this region are producing and exporting crude oil in commercial quantities while some others have also discovered oil in commercial quantities and are preparing to commence production in the near future. The Association’s membership has grown from just nine since inception, to forty members in 2018.
- +Main Objectives
- Cooperate and share knowledge on best practices in port management and operations in order to deliver efficient and effective port services to our clients (ships and cargo owners), while maintaining the best culture of safe, secure and environmentally clean port operations. Indeed, the globalization of the world’s economy and by extension the demand for maritime transport services has brought ports, which constitute a critical component of maritime transport supply logistic chain, to promote increased cooperation. Within this context, PMAWCA also opened her doors to other ports and organizations in the transport sector Our Mission is to contribute to the improvement in the quality of services of port activities and services of our members in order to promote a sustainable socio-economic development of our countries and the sub region. To achieve this mission, our objectives amongst others are to:
- Contribute to the improvement, coordination and harmonization of equipment and services offered by member ports;
- Establish and consolidate our partnership relations with associations, institutions or organizations working in the transport and maritime trade sector;
- Provide a privileged platform for meetings and sharing of experiences amongst members so as to contribute to the development synergy of our members and of the sub region.
- PMAWCA is made up of twenty four (24) regular member Ports , eight (8) associate members including landlocked Countries and Maritime Organisations, all located along the West Coast of the Africa Continent Stretching from Mauritania to Angola covering a coast line of about 12,000km on the Atlantic Ocean. It also has observer members located in Europe. These memberships comprise of Anglophone, Francophone and Lusophone Speaking Countries thus, PMAWCA’s official languages are English, French and Portuguese.